Saturday, August 6, 2011

Meal of the Week

I have an idea for the blog - to feature one thing I made each week that I especially loved as the Meal of the Week. Maybe it will become a regular Saturday post...(and this was originally supposed to post on Saturday, but life got in the way).

This week, we grilled fajita meat for the first time. We have never been too adventurous on the grill, mainly sticking to burgers and sometimes chicken and recently, corn. A few weeks ago my brother told me he had grilled fajitas and used this recipe. Well, we tried it and I have to say it was the BEST meat I have ever made! (Well, technically Travis grilled it but I prepared it and marinated it.)

I had to make a couple of changes to the recipe. They didn't have skirt steak at the store so I used flat iron steak (the butcher's recommended substitute). Also, we don't use soy sauce so I just kinda threw in some balsamic vinegar and red cooking wine.

And I planned to make corn tortillas from scratch. Oh, the tortillas. They did not turn out like they are supposed to. The dough would not stick together at all, and I don't have a tortilla press (well, I have one now!) so they were super-thick anyway. Ahhh, this kind of mishap would have totally thrown me for a loop in the past. But, I decided to roll with it and we ended up with a tortilla-type bread on the side of our meat and veggies. They tasted fine, and Levi certainly didn't complain!



So aside from the meat and tortillas, I cooked bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions, guacamole, and corn on the cob. It was a truly delicious meal. This is how it turned out (and bear with me, I am not a great photographer).




What was YOUR favorite meal of this week? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment